Parliamentary Debate (aka “Parli”) is a debate format offered by several leagues, consisting of teams that receive the resolution minutes before they debate. Monument Member downloads include a model resolution and a sample tournament of resolutions to practice. The download contains hyperlinks to websites to help strengthen debaters’ understanding of the topics introduced.
Earlier Parli Releases
- Parli Release #25: “Venezuelan Politics” (2/4/2019) - This week’s topics of debate include Venezuelan politics, capitalism, international relations, the 2020 election, and more!
- Parli Release #24: “Indictment of Roger Stone” (1/28/2019) - This week’s topics of debate include Stone’s indictment, the border wall, Venezuelan leadership, gun control, and more!
- Parli Release #23: “India’s Economic Inequality” (1/21/2019) - This week’s topics of debate include the New England Patriots, Israeli strikes in Syria. China’s war on pollution, autonomy to Bangsamoro, the shutdown, Turkey’s security ability, and migrant aid.
- Parli Release #22: “Watson’s Censure” (1/14/2019) - This week’s topics of debate include declaring a state of national emergency, the 2020 Republican primaries, the TSA, lone wolf founders, recreational marijuana, Iran’s nuclear enrichment program, tariffs on China, and Bashar al-Assad’s relationship with other Arab nations.
- Parli Release #21: “Democrat House” (1/7/2019) - This week’s topics of debate include the new Democratic House, gerrymandering laws, requiring head coverings in Congress, the US in Syria, and whether the Wall is really a national security issue.
- Parli Release #20: “Obamacare” (12/17/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include the recent Obamacare strike down, regulation of Amazon, free trade, American oil independence, and video gaming for minors.
- Parli Release #19: “George HW Bush” (12/10/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include George H.W. Bush, whether riots should be cracked down upon, the rights of refugees, military aid to authoritarian regimes, the federal debt, and voter fraud.
- Parli Release #18: “Betsy DeVos” (12/3/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include Title IX, American football, romaine lettuce (or rather the CDC’s power over it), Hitler analogies, overthrowing governments, Microsoft, and what world leaders need to take a hike.
- Parli Release #17: “Pride and Prejudice ” (11/26/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include uncontacted civilizations, social contract theory, public vs. voucher schools, the right to be forgotten, taxation, expensive sporting venues, adversarial justice, and a final resolution that should challenge your creative debating skills.
- Parli Release #16: “Religion vs. Equity” (11/19/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include Julian Assange’s brand of journalism, the Kosovo/Serbia dispute, America’s relationship with the Philippines, China’s human rights situation, epistemic certainty, Universal Basic Income, and free speech in Hong Kong.
- Parli Release #15: “Harvard” (11/12/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include identity politics, the impact of Beto O’Rourke’s Senate race, tensions with China, campus carry, the 17th Amendment, and historical scenario resolutions on Microsoft, the USSR, and SCOTUS.
- Parli Release #14: “Executive Orders” (11/5/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include governmental power separation, global communication, Iran, economic growth, and more!
- Parli Release #13: “Mailed Terrorism” (10/29/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include the mailed bombs, upcoming elections, the IPCC, journalist Khashoggi, and more!
- Parli Release #12: “October Surprise” (10/22/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include the midterm elections, a scenario where war breaks out between Turkey and Saudi Arabia (and what the US should do about it), resolutions about Rosenstein and Comey, a call for more local support for education, and more!
- Parli Release #11: “Criminal Justice Reform” (10/15/2018) - This week’s topics of debate the criminal justice system, aging infrastructure, secret videos of private conversations, whether welfare really helps the poor, and more!
- Parli Release #10: “Public Shaming” (10/8/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include social smearing, economic disparities, Trudeau’s recent showdown with Donald Trump, foreign dependency in our military, and more!
- Parli Release #09: “More on Kavanaugh” (10/1/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include the Kavanaugh hearings, racial tensions, Elon Musk, Italy’s financial problems, whether public apologies matter much, and more!
- Parli Release #08: “Google” (9/24/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include Google’s controversy, Nike’s ad, Trump’s tweets, Socrate's theories and more!
- Parli Release #07: “Hungary” (9/17/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include sanctions on Hungary, ethical campaign finance, the latest on Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation, cohesion funding for Baltic states, FEMA, and more!
- Parli Release #06: “Kavanaugh” (9/10/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include social media’s truth problems, the U.S.’s involvement with Palestine, the next trillion-dollar company, Argentina’s financial woes, America’s immigration court backlog, attorney-client privilege, and protests that involve taking a knee.
- Parli Release #05: “John McCain” (9/3/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include John McCain, the python in Poland, identity fraud for minors, weather Jeff Sessions should go, the so-called “Crisis for Democracy,” Aretha Franklin, and more!
- Parli Release #04: “Soft Power” (8/27/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include soft power and hard power, epistemology and truth, immigration reform, the second amendment, Venezuelan refugees, and more!
- Parli Release #03: “Trump’s Trade War” (8/20/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include Trump’s tariffs, the Manafort tax fraud, privacy, public health issues, immigration policy, the valuation of Apple, and more!
- Parli Release #02: “Internet of Things” (8/13/2018) - This download gives some analysis on the Internet of Things. It also gives practice resolution for Parli debaters.
- Parli Release #01: “Higher Education” (8/6/2018) - This week’s topics of debate include higher education, presidential authority of classified information, the federal government’s unconstitutional authority in the financing market, and more!
- Preseason: Parli Debate (6/18/2018) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting competitive event of Parli Debate.
Parliamentary Debate Organizations
The following are active parli debate organizations:
- Stoa hosts a two-on-two format that allows 15 minutes for students to prepare, allowing internet access and coaching during prep. See Stoa Parliamentary Debate for more information.
- NSDA hosts a three-on-three format called “World Schools Debate” that gives 60 minutes to prepare. The entire team consists of five members who prepare among one another. See World Schools Debate at NSDA for more information.
- The High School Debate Program is a California-based parliamentary debate program that hosts parli debate tournaments. See High School Debate for more information.
- The World Schools Debating Championships (WSDC) is an international organization that hosts parliamentary debates around the world. See the WSDC website for more information.
Season 19 Release Schedule
Monument releases content every Monday morning through four quarters (2 semesters). Each quarter contains hundreds of releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling 500 guaranteed releases for the entire year. Click here for preseason and free downloads. The school season is as follows:
- Quarter 1 • August 6 through October 8, 2018
Ten releases for 14 events and categories. Events include Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Parliamentary Debate, Extemp, Apologetics, Platform and Interpretation. Perfect to start your journey through the competitive year.
- Quarter 2 • October 15 through December 17, 2018
Releases continue, this time with case and brief development for speakers and debaters in policy, value, parli and all the speech events. Perfect for those who want to be transformed into champion competitors for the first tournaments of the year.
- Quarter 3 • January 7 through March 11, 2019
Members are delivered more specific negative and opposition briefs. Eleven different events and categories for 220 additional downloads throughout the year. Perfect for debaters who need to own the source content to maximize their competitive success.
- Quarter 4 • March 18 through May 27, 2019
The home stretch through state, regional and national championships, the fourth quarter releases additional downloads for those speakers and debaters who are ready to win. Perfect for those who need additional help to differentiate themselves from other champions.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.