Parliamentary Debate (often referred to as “parli” or “world schools” debate) is a debate format consisting of teams that receive the resolution minutes before they debate. Monument Member downloads include a tournament-worth of resolutions to practice. They are written by past parli champions who reference current events that keep members up-to-date on topics of interest. The download contains hyperlinks to websites to help strengthen debaters’ understanding of the topics introduced. Members should allocate time during the week to study the topics and perhaps scrimmage the resolutions. By tournament time, you will be fully prepared to compete.
Parliamentary Debate Organizations
The following are active parli debate organizations:
- Stoa hosts a two-on-two format that allows 15 minutes for students to prepare, allowing internet access and coaching during prep. See Stoa Parliamentary Debate for more information.
- NSDA hosts a three-on-three format called “World Schools Debate” that gives 60 minutes to prepare. The entire team consists of five members who prepare among one another. See World Schools Debate at NSDA for more information.
- The High School Debate Program is a California-based parliamentary debate program that hosts parli debate tournaments. See High School Debate for more information.
- The World Schools Debating Championships (WSDC) is an international organization that hosts parliamentary debates around the world. See the WSDC website for more information.
Season 20 Release Schedule
FIRST RELEASES: AUGUST 5! Monument releases content every Monday morning throughout the first semester of school. New to Season 20: ALL SOURCE CONTENT WILL BE RELEASED BY CHRISTMAS. We also have some holiday surprises in store for you. For a detailed schedule, click here. The following is a general release schedule for Season 20:
- August 5, 2019 - Keys to Speech & Debate Success. This four-video course gets you prepared for the new year.
- August 12, 2019 - All Preseason Material Releases. Every event category will be delivered their kick-off download.
- August-September - Most informational material will be released (e.g. summaries, resolutional articles, etc.).
- September-December - All cases, negative/opposition briefs, and strategic source content will be released.
- Christmas 2019 - You're all set to succeed! Access to the hundreds of releases will continue through June 2020.
Members are fully prepared for competition. Click here to join.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All Membership content and Library Archives are proprietary intellectual content, so please respect our copyrights. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member or a Library Access Owner you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited, the only exception being from immediate family members within a single household.