Public Forum debate is a two-on-two event that addresses resolutions set forth by the National Speech and Debate Association. The resolutions are announced periodically throughout the year, times specified by the NSDA. See SpeechandDebate.org/topics to see the schedule as well as the current resolutions.
Season 19 Public Forum Releases
Monument Members receive Public Forum releases through its introductory material and the first NSDA resolution (Sept/Oct). Archive material may be made available if new resolutions justify it.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #12: “A Legal Black Hole” (CON) (10/22/2018) - There is arguably no upside to the United States acceding to the Law of the Sea Treaty. But there is a major downside. Because the Treaty removes the ability to make reservations, with accession the US would be subject to the entirety of UNCLOS. The Treaty would open the United States to litigation.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #11: “Freedom of Navigation” (PRO) (10/15/2018) - The Law of the Sea Convention was transmitted to the Senate by President Clinton in 1994 for its advice and consent. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 19-0 in support of joining the Convention in 2004. A full Senate vote does not take place. In 2007 President Bush urges the Senate to approve U. S. Accession. The Committee holds hearings and votes 17-4 in support of joining the Convention. A vote of the full Senate does not take place. In 2012 the Senate Foreign Relations Committee holds four hearings on the Convention; no vote is taken.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #10: “Don’t Ratify Law of the Sea” (CON) (10/8/2018) - Most other nations have ratified the UN Convention on Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) since it was written in 1982. And that's just fine.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #09: “Law of the Sea” (PRO) (10/1/2018) - This download is a case for the pro side of the NSDA 2018 resolution for Public Forum.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #08: “Law of the Sea” (CON) (9/24/2018) - This brief explores the CON (negative) side of the resolution. Note: I included long pieces of evidence that include excellent background, but much too long to be read into a round. Pieces of evidence that has underscores may be read in your debates.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #07: “Law of the Sea” (PRO) (9/17/2018) - This download gives you background information to help guide you in your research, plus a hefty amount of PRO material that helps explain the affirmative side. Next release will delve into the negative (CON).
- NSDA Public Forum Release #06: “Crossfire” (INFO) (9/10/2018) - This download establishes the structure, purpose, and strategy behind crossfire in a Public Forum format.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #05: “Research” (INFO) (9/3/2018) - This download covers support, sources, credibility and evidence. There are all essential elements of research as well as essential for winning rounds.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #04: “Case Writing” (INFO) (8/27/2018) - Learn how to write a case and prepare for opposing arguments. Both necessary for winning rounds.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #03: “Flowing” (INFO) (8/20/2018) - Flowing is essential in Public Forum debate. This lesson explains the why and the how behind this essential skill.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #02: “Speaker Responsibilities” (INFO) (8/13/2018) - Each of the four speakers has a different role to play in the public forum debate round. In this lesson, you will learn what is expected of each.
- NSDA Public Forum Release #01: “Basic Preparation” (INFO) (8/6/2018) - This unit walks you through four expectations you can have that will form the framework and structure of public forum debate.
- Preseason: Public Forum Debate (7/2/2018) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting competitive event of Policy Debate.
Season 19 Release Schedule
Monument releases content every Monday morning through four quarters (2 semesters). Each quarter contains hundreds of releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling 500 guaranteed releases for the entire year. Click here for preseason and free downloads. The school season is as follows:
- Quarter 1 • August 6 through October 8, 2018
Ten releases for 14 events and categories. Events include Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Parliamentary Debate, Extemp, Apologetics, Platform and Interpretation. Perfect to start your journey through the competitive year.
- Quarter 2 • October 15 through December 17, 2018
Releases continue, this time with case and brief development for speakers and debaters in policy, value, parli and all the speech events. Perfect for those who want to be transformed into champion competitors for the first tournaments of the year.
- Quarter 3 • January 7 through March 11, 2019
Members are delivered more specific negative and opposition briefs. Eleven different events and categories for 220 additional downloads throughout the year. Perfect for debaters who need to own the source content to maximize their competitive success.
- Quarter 4 • March 18 through May 27, 2019
The home stretch through state, regional and national championships, the fourth quarter releases additional downloads for those speakers and debaters who are ready to win. Perfect for those who need additional help to differentiate themselves from other champions.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.