Extemp is a limited-prep event where students are given 20-30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute impromptu speech. Competitors are required to be experts on headlines and current events. The weekly download covers one particular headline in depth, plus gives a sample tournament of questions (three preliminary rounds, a semi-final and a final round). The questions have hyperlinks that link to news items that will help the member prepare for their tournament. All releases are written by former champions or their coaches.
Latest Extemp Releases
- Extemp Release #40: “Paul Ryan” (4/16/2018) - This week’s first round deals with the impact of Paul Ryan’s resignation. Other rounds include the Facebook hearings, Syria, geostrategic threats from China in the Taiwan Strait, the Andrew McCabe and Michael Cohen investigations, Palestinian protests, African refugees, and more.
- Extemp Release #39: “Militarizing the Border” (4/9/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into militarizing the border. Other topics include fuel economy standards, Syria, Spotify, the May 22 deadline on tariffs, and much more!
- Extemp Release #38: “The Pope and Hell” (4/2/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into Pope Francis. Other topics include the new Bolton/Mattis relationship, the omnibus bill, Trump going after Amazon, and much more!
- Extemp Release #37: “Privacy Invasion” (3/26/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into the valuation of privacy. Other topics include gun violence, trade policy and tariffs, the steel industry, self-driving cars and much more!
- Extemp Release #36: “Battle for Damascus” (3/19/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into the Syrian conflict. Other topics include US-Canada relations, the second Amazon headquarters, unemployment, the tech industry’s future outlook and much more!
Earlier Extemp Releases
- Extemp Release #35: “Xi Jinping” (3/12/2018)
- Extemp Release #34: “Economy” (3/5/2018)
- Extemp Release #33: “Syria” (2/26/2018)
- Extemp Release #32: “Mass Shootings” (2/19/2018)
- Extemp Release #31: “Veterans” (2/12/2018)
- Extemp Release #30: “Day Zero” (2/5/2018)
- Extemp Release #29: “Secret Society in the FBI” (1/29/2018)
- Extemp Release #28: “Government Shutdown (Round 2)” (1/22/2018)
- Extemp Release #27: “Iran” (1/15/2018)
- Extemp Release #26: “Trump’s Wall” (1/8/2018)
- Extemp Release #25: “Wildfire” (1/1/2018)
- Extemp Release #24: “Jerusalem” (12/11/2017)
- Extemp Release #23: “The National Budget” (12/4/2017)
- Extemp Release #22: “Net Neutrality” (11/27/2017)
- Extemp Release #21: “Capitol Hill Cleansing” (11/20/2017)
- Extemp Release #20: “Democrat Momentum” (11/13/2017)
- Extemp Release #19: “Artificial Intelligence” (11/6/2017)
- Extemp Release #18: “China’s Recycling Ban” (10/30/2017)
- Extemp Release #17: “ISIS in Collapse” (10/23/2017)
- Extemp Release #16: “Iran Nuclear Deal” (10/16/2017)
- Extemp Release #15: “Las Vegas” (10/9/2017)
- Extemp Release #14: “Trump Tax Plan” (10/2/2017)
- Extemp Release #13: “Hurricane Maria” (9/25/2017)
- Extemp Release #12: “Cuba” (9/18/2017)
- Extemp Release #11: “Global Warming” (9/11/2017)
- Extemp Release #10: “Houston” (9/4/2017)
- Extemp Release #09: “Government Shutdown” (8/28/2017)
- Extemp Release #08: “North Korea” (8/21/2017)
- Extemp Release #07: “NFL” (8/14/2017)
- Extemp Release #06: “Venezuela” (8/7/2017)
- Extemp Release #05: “Obamacare” (7/31/2017)
- Extemp Release #04: “Jeff Sessions” (7/24/2017)
- Extemp Release #03: “Russian Collusion” (7/17/2017)
- Extemp Release #02: “Climate Change and G20 Communique” (7/10/2017)
- Extemp Release #01: “Neil Gorsuch” (7/3/2017)
Most speech and debate organizations offer extemp as a category for speech. The following are active extemp debate organizations:
- AFA Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- NCFCA Extemp gives students 20 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- NCFL Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- NFA Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 5-to-7 minute speech.
- NSDA Extemp is divided into several specific categories, see individual explanations: US Extemp, International Extemp, Mixed Extemp for Middle School and Extemporaneous Debate.
- Stoa Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- UIL gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
Season 19 Release ScheduleClick here for Season 18
Monument releases weekly downloads at 5:00 AM every Monday morning, Mountain Time. These are released in 3 quarters throughout the school year with an option to join a special Nationals Intensive Training Community in the 4th quarter. Each quarter contains 12 releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling over 400 releases for the entire year. The school season is as follows:
- 1st Quarter (Summer): Members kick off the year for most events, providing them basic lessons on the new debate topics for specific leagues. Competitive speech releases are also available.
- 2nd Quarter (Fall): These consist of 12 additional weeks covering the league resolutions. Limited-prep and speech continue their studies with weekly releases on their events.
- 3rd Quarter (Winter): Members will be enjoying their main tournaments of the season. These releases are meant to narrow the competitive focus and keep speakers and debaters sharp for their competitions.
- 4th Quarter (Spring): Monument narrows its focus to our most popular events and leagues. Members will be invited to join Nationals Intensive Training Communities (NITCs), details to be announced by New Years 2019.
Special Renewal Offer
Get ALL of Season 19 for only $59. That's 40% off, and it is available only to current Season 18 members. Expires 5/31/18.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.