Extemp is a limited-prep event where students are given 20-30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute impromptu speech. Competitors are required to be experts on headlines and current events. The weekly download covers one particular headline in depth, plus gives a sample tournament of questions (three preliminary rounds, a semi-final and a final round). The questions have hyperlinks that link to news items that will help the member prepare for their tournament. All releases are written by former champions or their coaches.
Earlier Extemp Releases
- Extemp Release #10: “Unemployment” (10/8/2018) - Love it or hate it, extempers need to take a stand on the unemployment numbers.
- Extemp Release #09: “Indonesia Tsunami ” (10/1/2018) - This week’s final round includes this the Indonesia Tsunami, the Kavanaugh hearings, NAFTA, Teresa May, Pandora, the #metoo movement, qwerty keyboards, and more!
- Extemp Release #08: “Opioid Epidemic” (9/24/2018) - This week’s final round includes this the opioid epidemic, the Carolina hurricane, the Kavanaugh hearings, Nike’s ad and more!
- Extemp Release #07: “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez” (9/17/2018) - This week’s final round gives you a deep dive into one of America’s most ascendant and polarizing political figures, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Other topics include international terrorism, the intersection of politics and economics, and Mexico’s wildly popular new president, and more!
- Extemp Release #06: “Tesla” (9/10/2018) - This week’s first round provides an overview of the biggest stories this week, some dealing with the largest personas and reputations in America. Other topics include economic questions about security, high-profile retirements, and tariffs, the 2918 U.S. midterm elections, a section about human rights concerns, and a finals section about the interesting trends and questions of today.
- Extemp Release #05: “Campus Assaults” (9/3/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into campus rules on assaults. Other topics include Trump’s war on Google, Germany’s assistance to Turkey, our new trade deal with Mexico, and much more!
- Extemp Release #04: “Michael Cohen” (8/27/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into Cohen’s conviction. Other topics include facial recognition technology, North Korea, Elon Musk and Tesla, Zimbabwe’s political state, and much more!
- Extemp Release #03: “Climate Change” (8/20/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into climate change as a public health issue. Other topics include immigration policy, bitcoin, trade wars, US-Russian relations, and much more!
- Extemp Release #02: “Turkey” (8/13/2018) - This download gives a recap of what happened in the news this week! It also provides practice questions so you can practice at home.
- Extemp Release #01: “Twitter” (8/6/2018) - This week’s final round goes deep into Twitter. Other topics include the Mueller investigation, Zimbabwe’s election, the trade war with China, CBS’s Leslie Moonves, Jeff Bezos, and much more!
- Preseason: Competitive Speech (7/9/2018) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting world of competitive speech.
Most speech and debate organizations offer extemp as a category for speech. The following are active extemp debate organizations:
- AFA Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- NCFCA Extemp gives students 20 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- NCFL Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- NFA Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 5-to-7 minute speech.
- NSDA Extemp is divided into several specific categories, see individual explanations: US Extemp, International Extemp, Mixed Extemp for Middle School and Extemporaneous Debate.
- Stoa Extemp gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
- UIL gives students 30 minutes to prepare a 7-minute speech.
Season 19 Release Schedule
Monument releases content every Monday morning. Each semester contains hundreds of releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling 500 guaranteed releases for the entire year. The school season is as follows:
- Preseason • June-July
June and July consist of weekly releases on the front cover of MonumentMembers.com. These releases consist of official downloads explaining the transformative power of successful speech and debate participation.
- Semester 1 begins August 6
Releases begin in August and last through December, totaling 20 official lessons for 14 events and categories: 280 total downloads! Events include Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Parliamentary Debate, Extemp, Apologetics, Platform and Interpretation.
- Semester 2 begins January 4
Releases begin in January and last through May, totaling 20 additional releases for 11 events and categories: 220 total downloads! A special invitation to some national tournament training will be extended to Semester 2 Monument Members who make it to their national competition.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.