Impromptu is the simplest of all the limited-prep events. Students are given a certain amount of time to prepare a timed speech. Competitors choose from a list of themed topics of which to prepare for and deliver their speeches. Monument Members’ weekly download provides a sample round of unique questions, all pertaining to a certain theme, that may be used to practice. Hyperlinks are provided in case the member needs to research the topics more thoroughly, but internet access is not allowed in real competition. Members should allocate time during the week to scrimmage the simulated round. By real tournament time, you will be prepared to compete.
NOTE for Season 20: This is a new category for members in Season 20. New content will begin in August.
Most speech and debate organizations offer impromptu as a category for speech. Even if they don’t, impromptu is an excellent training activity for any speaker. The following are active impromptu debate organizations:
- NCFCA Impromptu gives students 2 minutes to prepare a 5-minute speech.
- NFA Impromptu gives a limit of 7 minutes, with speeches lasting at least 5 minutes.
- NSDA Impromptu is a consolation event where student “have seven minutes to select a topic, brainstorm their ideas, outline the speech, and finally, deliver the speech.”
Season 20 Release Schedule
FIRST RELEASES: AUGUST 5! Monument releases content every Monday morning throughout the first semester of school. New to Season 20: ALL SOURCE CONTENT WILL BE RELEASED BY CHRISTMAS. We also have some holiday surprises in store for you. For a detailed schedule, click here. The following is a general release schedule for Season 20:
- August 5, 2019 - Keys to Speech & Debate Success. This four-video course gets you prepared for the new year.
- August 12, 2019 - All Preseason Material Releases. Every event category will be delivered their kick-off download.
- August-September - Most informational material will be released (e.g. summaries, resolutional articles, etc.).
- September-December - All cases, negative/opposition briefs, and strategic source content will be released.
- Christmas 2019 - You're all set to succeed! Access to the hundreds of releases will continue through June 2020.
Members are fully prepared for competition. Click here to join.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All Membership content and Library Archives are proprietary intellectual content, so please respect our copyrights. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member or a Library Access Owner you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited, the only exception being from immediate family members within a single household.