There are numerous Literary Interpretation Events (a.k.a. “interp”) where competitors display an appreciation and recitation of a piece of literature. Most forensic leagues have numerous types of interps, the most popular being Humorous Interp (HI), Dramatic Interp (DI) and Duo Interp (DUO). Monument Members hear from champions who have enjoyed success in various interp categories. They reference their own speech success and give pointers to members for their preparation.
Earlier Interp Releases
- Interp Release #19: “Fantastic Mr. Fox” (Duo) (12/10/2018) - This speech was performed by Christopher and Shane Roberts in Season 14 (2013-2014). They consistently took the top two places in National Opens around the nation. They won the Regional tournament and took runner up at the NCFCA National Tournament. They ended the season by being ranked 1st in their state and 2nd in the country.
- Interp Release #18: “Bridge to Terabithia” (DI) (12/3/2018) - This speech was performed by Hope Suffelette in Season 14 (2013-2014). She took 1st place three in state competitions, one first place slot at an out of state tournament and 2nd at the St. Louis Gateway Classic and was ranked 1st in OI in Montana at the end of the season.
- Interp Release #17: “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” (OI) (11/26/2018) - This is an Open Interpretation performed by Elena Trueba for the 2010-2011 competition season. It placed 2nd at the 2011 Stoa National Invitational Tournament of Champions, as well as ranking 3rd for Open Interpretation on Speech Ranks for the 2010-2011 season
- Interp Release #16: “Bread & Jam for Frances” (HI) (11/19/2018) - This is a Humorous Interpretation performed by Cody Cessna in the 2009-2010 season. It placed 2nd Place at the 2010 NCFCA National Championship and did well at local tournaments as well.
- Interp Release #15: “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” (DI) (11/12/2018) - A Dramatic Interpretation performed in 2009 by Shannon Powell. It won 2nd Place at the 2009 NCFCA National Championship
- Interp Release #14: “Well With My Soul” (Duo) (11/5/2018) - This is a Duo Interpretation performed for the 2014-2015 season. It won the National Invitational Tournament of champions, as well as ranking well in many local tournaments. It ranked 1st place in Arizona and 1st Place in the Nation the year they competed.
- Interp Release #13: “The Raven” (OI) (10/29/2018) - This is an Open Interpretation written by Aspen Plummer for the 2010-2011 competition year. It is on the Stoa Hall of Fame: 2011 Open Interpretation Champion, as well as ranking 2nd on Speech Ranks for Open Interpretation/Thematic for the 2010-2011 season
- Interp Release #12: “The Composer is Dead” (HI) (10/22/2018) - This is a Humorous Interpretation written for the 2010-2011 competition year. It placed 2nd Place, 2011 NCFCA National Championship, as well as winning regional tournaments.
- Interp Release #11: “The Miracle Worker” (DI) (10/15/2018) - This is a Dramatic Interpretation performed during the 2010-2011 season. It won 5th Place, 2011 Stoa National Invitational Tournament of Champions
- Interp Release #10: “Cinderella” (Duo) (10/8/2018) - Combined with our wacky imaginations, this piece would bring us up on the stage alongside the top seven finest other duo interpretation competitors at NITOC.
- Interp Release #09: “Ferdinand the Bull” (OI) (10/1/2018) - This is an Open Interpretation performed by Stephen Roe during the 2009-2010 season. He won 1st Place, 2010 Stoa National Invitational Tournament of Champions.
- Interp Release #08: “The Watsons Go to Birmingham” (HI) (9/24/2018) - The Watsons Go To Birmingham - 1963 connects its readers to the characters, which is what makes this book so special.
- Interp Release #07: “Flowers for Algernon” (DI) (9/17/2018) - This speech was performed by Jacob Aschmutat in 2009. He is in NCFCA’s Hall of Fame and was the NCFCA Dramatic Interpretation Champion 2009.
- Interp Release #06: “Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince” (Duo) (9/10/2018) - This download is a Duo Interpretation performed by Anthony Matzke and Eduardo Ricks which received the title of quarterfinalist, 2011 NCFCA National Championship.
- Interp Release #05: “All the Great Books” (HI) (9/3/2018) - This speech was performed by Chandler Lasch in Season 12 (2011-2012). She took 3rd place at Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions and 10th place at 2012 Concordia Challenge which is one of the biggest tournaments in the nation.
- Interp Release #04: “At the Back of the North Wind” (OI) (8/27/2018) - Use this source material to enhance your understanding of Open. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 19.
- Interp Release #03: “Steel Magnolias” (DI) (8/20/2018) - This speech was performed by Chandler Lasch in Season 12 (2011-2012). She took 5th place at Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions and was consistently a finalist throughout the season.
- Interp Release #02: “The Book of Awesome” (Duo) (8/13/2018) - Use this source material to enhance your understanding of Duo. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 19.
- Interp Release #01: “Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch” (HI) (8/6/2018) - This speech was performed by Micah Jeub in Season 14 (2013-2014). He took 1st place for both Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions and NCFCA National Tournament.
- Preseason: Competitive Speech (7/9/2018) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting world of competitive speech.
Most speech and debate organizations offer interp as a category for speech. The following are active interp organizations:
- AFA provides Prose Interpretation, Dramatic Duo, Program Oral Interp, After Dinner Speaking, Drama Interp, and Poetry Interp.
- NCFCA provides Biblical Presentation, Duo Interpretation, Open Interpretation, and Original Interpretation.
- NCFL Extemp provides Dramatic Performance, Duo Interp, Oral Interp, .
- NSDA provides Declamation, Dramatic Interp, Duo Interp, Humorous Interp, Poetry, Program Oral Interp, Prose and Story Telling.
- Stoa provides Dramatic, Duo, Humorous, and Open.
- UIL provides Oral Interpretation.
Season 19 Release Schedule
Monument releases content every Monday morning through four quarters (2 semesters). Each quarter contains hundreds of releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling 500 guaranteed releases for the entire year. Click here for preseason and free downloads. The school season is as follows:
- Quarter 1 • August 6 through October 8, 2018
Ten releases for 14 events and categories. Events include Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Parliamentary Debate, Extemp, Apologetics, Platform and Interpretation. Perfect to start your journey through the competitive year.
- Quarter 2 • October 15 through December 17, 2018
Releases continue, this time with case and brief development for speakers and debaters in policy, value, parli and all the speech events. Perfect for those who want to be transformed into champion competitors for the first tournaments of the year.
- Quarter 3 • January 7 through March 11, 2019
Members are delivered more specific negative and opposition briefs. Eleven different events and categories for 220 additional downloads throughout the year. Perfect for debaters who need to own the source content to maximize their competitive success.
- Quarter 4 • March 18 through May 27, 2019
The home stretch through state, regional and national championships, the fourth quarter releases additional downloads for those speakers and debaters who are ready to win. Perfect for those who need additional help to differentiate themselves from other champions.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.