There are numerous “platform” speeches where competitors write and deliver their own informational or persuasive speech. Most forensic leagues offer platforms like Oratory, Persuasive, Informational Speaking, and many other unique forms of platform speaking. Monument Members hear from champions who have enjoyed success in various platform categories. They include their own speech as well as give pointers to members for their preparation.
Earlier Platform Releases
- Platform Release #19: “Godly Grieving” (OO) (12/10/2018) - This is an Original Oratory speech written by Maggie Topper in Season 15 (2014-2015). She consistently placed in 1st and 2nd place at every tournament she attended. She ended the season ranked 2nd in California and 3rd in the country for this event.
- Platform Release #18: “Gender Roles” (Persuasive) (12/3/2018) - This is a Persuasive speech written by Lydia Jeub. She placed as a finalist at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions for the 2011-2012 Season. She ended the season ranked 4th in Persuasive in her state on SpeechRanks.com for the 2011-2012 season.
- Platform Release #17: “Of Sponges, Locusts, and the Velcro Plant” (Expos) (11/26/2018) - This is an Expository Speech performed for the 2009-2010 year. It was a semifinalist at the 2010 NCFCA National Championship, received 1st at many qualifying tournaments, and ranked 3rd in Expos/Illustrated Oratory for the 2009-2010 season.
- Platform Release #16: “Pro-choice Propaganda ” (Persuasive) (11/19/2018) - This is a persuasive written for the 2010-2011 competition year. It ranked 1st place at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions.
- Platform Release #15: “Honor Killings” (OO) (11/12/2018) - This is an Original Oratory Semifinalist, 2011 National Invitational Tournament of Champions.
- Platform Release #14: “Brain Damage in Football” (Expos) (11/5/2018) - This is an Expository speech written by Dawn Manning. She was a finalist at the 2011 NCFCA National Championship, as well as wining local tournaments. She ranked 1st for Expos/Illustrated Oratory on Speech Ranks for the 2010-2011 season.
- Platform Release #13: “Hope Amongst Asperger’s” (OO) (10/29/2018) - This is an Original Oratory performed by Callan J. Yeates during the 2007-2008 NCFCA Season. It received 8th place at the National Championship.
- Platform Release #12: “Stand Up for Your Health” (Persuasive) (10/22/2018) - This is a Persuasive written by Riaz Lane for NCFCA 2014-2015 competition year. It went to Quarterfinals at the NCFCA Nationals tournament, as well as winning first place at several local tournaments. He ranked 1st Place in North Carolina and 7th Place in the nation the year he competed on Speechranks.
- Platform Release #11: “Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)” (Expos) (10/15/2018) - This speech was performed by Brandon Douglas during the 2011-2012 Season. He took 2nd Place at Stoa’s National Invitational Tournament of Champions, 1st Place at Sonoma County Classic, 3rd Place at Heart of the Valley, and he ranked 2nd in Expos/Illustrated Oratory on Speech Ranks for the 2010-2011 season
- Platform Release #10: “The American Constitution” (OO) (10/8/2018) - This speech was originally written for the American Legion Oratorical contest, in which Cheyenne Ossen qualified for their Regional level of competition. Her speech was one of the few that was recorded by Focus on the Family.
- Platform Release #09: “Combat Veterans” (Persuasive) (10/1/2018) - This is a Persuasive speech performed by Josiah Walker during the 2013-2014 competition season. He is in the Stoa Hall of Fame: 2014 NITOC Persuasive Champion and won multiple local tournaments. He was ranked 1st in Persuasive in California and Nationally the year he competed in this speech.
- Platform Release #08: “Beyond the Box” (Expos) (9/24/2018) - Directions: Use this source material to enhance your understanding of expos. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 19.
- Platform Release #07: “Birth order, So What?” (OO) (9/17/2018) - This is an Original Oratory performed for the 2009-2010 NCFCA Season. It received 4th place at the National Championship, 3rd at the Colorado National Open.
- Platform Release #06: “International Adoption” (Persuasive) (9/10/2018) - This is a persuasive speech written and performed by Sarah Klein during the 2009-2010 NCFCA Season which earned first place at the National Champion, Colorado Open Champion. Here's a clipped quote from the author:
- Platform Release #05: “Poetry is Dead” (OO) (9/3/2018) - This is an Original Oratory written as a slam poem performed by Tabitha Jeub. She placed in the finalists at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions for the 2017-2018 Season. She ended the season ranked 1st in Original Oratory in her state on SpeechRanks.com for the 2017-2018 season.
- Platform Release #04: “Magic” (Expos) (8/27/2018) - Use this source material to enhance your understanding of expos. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 19.
- Platform Release #03: “Freedom Because of Bravery” (Voice of Democracy) (8/20/2018) - Use this source material to enhance your understanding of Persuasive and Oratory speaking. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking.
- Platform Release #02: “The Meaning of Words” (Oratory) (8/13/2018) - This is an Original Oratory piece written and performed by Jonathan Krive. He is NCFCA’s Hall of Fame Original Oratory Champion in 2003. He won the National Championship with this Oratory speech about The Meaning of Words.
- Platform Release #01: “The Heritage of Hunting” (Expos) (8/6/2018) - This is the first release for Season 19. We dig back into the archives to bring to the forefront Lydia Jeub, Stoa’s Hall of Fame Expository Champion in 2011.
- Preseason: Competitive Speech (7/9/2018) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting world of competitive speech.
Most speech and debate organizations offer platform as a category for speech. The following are active platform organizations:
- AFA provides Informative Speaking and Persuasive.
- NCFCA provides four categories of Platform: Biographical Narrative, Illustrated Oratory, Informative Speaking, and Persuasive Speaking.
- NCFL provides Oratorical Declamation and Original Oratory.
- NSDA provides Expository, Informative and Original Oratory.
- Stoa provides Expository, Original Oratory, and Persuasive Speaking.
Season 19 Release Schedule
Monument releases content every Monday morning through four quarters (2 semesters). Each quarter contains hundreds of releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling 500 guaranteed releases for the entire year. Click here for preseason and free downloads. The school season is as follows:
- Quarter 1 • Starts August 6, 2018
Ten releases for 14 events and categories. Events include Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Parliamentary Debate, Extemp, Apologetics, Platform and Interpretation. Perfect to start your journey through the competitive year.
- Quarter 2 • Starts October 15, 2018
Releases continue, this time with case and brief development for speakers and debaters in policy, value, parli and all the speech events. Perfect for those who want to be transformed into champion competitors for the first tournaments of the year.
- Quarter 3 • Starts January 7, 2019
Members are delivered more specific negative and opposition briefs. Eleven different events and categories for 220 additional downloads throughout the year. Perfect for debaters who need to own the source content to maximize their competitive success.
- Quarter 4 • Starts March 18, 2019
The home stretch through state, regional and national championships, the fourth quarter releases additional downloads for those speakers and debaters who are ready to win. Perfect for those who need additional help to differentiate themselves from other champions.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.