There are numerous “platform” speeches where competitors write and deliver their own informational or persuasive speech. Most forensic leagues offer platforms like Oratory, Persuasive, Informational Speaking, and many other unique forms of platform speaking. Monument Members hear from champions who have enjoyed success in various platform categories. They include their own speech as well as give pointers to members for their preparation.
Earlier Platform Releases
- Platform Release #10: “The American Constitution” (OO) (10/8/2018) - This speech was originally written for the American Legion Oratorical contest, in which I qualified for their Regional level of competition. The successes that I achieved in Stoa became a spring board for many opportunities! I was one of nine students chosen to have their speech filmed by Focus on the Family. Focus’s goal is to use these speeches for political outreach programs. I also was given the platform at a local political rally and County Commissioner debate, where I was able to demonstrate that young people are educated and care about their county. My success was defined by how many people I was able to impact through competition, the Focus on the Family project, and speaking in the local community.
- Platform Release #09: “Combat Veterans” (Persuasive) (10/1/2018) - This is a Persuasive speech performed by Josiah Walker during the 2013-2014 competition season. He is in the Stoa Hall of Fame: 2014 NITOC Persuasive Champion and won multiple local tournaments. He was ranked 1st in Persuasive in California and Nationally the year he competed in this speech.
- Platform Release #08: “Beyond the Box” (Expos) (9/24/2018) - Directions: Use this source material to enhance your understanding of expos. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 19.
- Platform Release #07: “Birth order, So What?” (OO) (9/17/2018) - This is an Original Oratory performed for the 2009-2010 NCFCA Season. It received 4th place at the National Championship, 3rd at the Colorado National Open.
- Platform Release #06: “International Adoption” (Persuasive) (9/10/2018) - This is a persuasive speech written and performed by Sarah Klein during the 2009-2010 NCFCA Season which earned first place at the National Champion, Colorado Open Champion. Here's a clipped quote from the author:
- Platform Release #05: “Poetry is Dead” (OO) (9/3/2018) - This is an Original Oratory written as a slam poem performed by Tabitha Jeub. She placed in the finalists at the National Invitational Tournament of Champions for the 2017-2018 Season. She ended the season ranked 1st in Original Oratory in her state on SpeechRanks.com for the 2017-2018 season.
- Platform Release #04: “Magic” (Expos) (8/27/2018) - Use this source material to enhance your understanding of expos. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking. You may want to consider doing this event in Season 19.
- Platform Release #03: “Freedom Because of Bravery” (Voice of Democracy) (8/20/2018) - Use this source material to enhance your understanding of Persuasive and Oratory speaking. This speech is an excellent example of champion speaking.
- Platform Release #02: “The Meaning of Words” (Oratory) (8/13/2018) - This is an Original Oratory piece written and performed by Jonathan Krive. He is NCFCA’s Hall of Fame Original Oratory Champion in 2003. He won the National Championship with this Oratory speech about The Meaning of Words. Jonathan Krive won this event 3 years in a row! He definitely knows what he’s doing, so take some notes on what really goes on behind the scenes of writing a champion worthy platform.
- Platform Release #01: “The Heritage of Hunting” (Expos) (8/6/2018) - This is the first release for Season 19. We dig back into the archives to bring to the forefront Lydia Jeub, Stoa’s Hall of Fame Expository Champion in 2011.
- Preseason: Competitive Speech (7/9/2018) - This preseason document introduces you to the most exciting world of competitive speech.
Most speech and debate organizations offer platform as a category for speech. The following are active platform organizations:
- AFA provides Informative Speaking and Persuasive.
- NCFCA provides four categories of Platform: Biographical Narrative, Illustrated Oratory, Informative Speaking, and Persuasive Speaking.
- NCFL provides Oratorical Declamation and Original Oratory.
- NSDA provides Expository, Informative and Original Oratory.
- Stoa provides Expository, Original Oratory, and Persuasive Speaking.
Season 19 Release Schedule
Monument releases content every Monday morning. Each semester contains hundreds of releases, custom written to specific leagues and events, totaling 500 guaranteed releases for the entire year. The school season is as follows:
- Preseason • June-July
June and July consist of weekly releases on the front cover of MonumentMembers.com. These releases consist of official downloads explaining the transformative power of successful speech and debate participation.
- Semester 1 begins August 6
Releases begin in August and last through December, totaling 20 official lessons for 14 events and categories: 280 total downloads! Events include Policy Debate, Lincoln-Douglas, Public Forum, Parliamentary Debate, Extemp, Apologetics, Platform and Interpretation.
- Semester 2 begins January 4
Releases begin in January and last through May, totaling 20 additional releases for 11 events and categories: 220 total downloads! A special invitation to some national tournament training will be extended to Semester 2 Monument Members who make it to their national competition.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.