The video above is FREE for all, but logged in members have access to additional materials for their use. Consider becoming a Monument Member today…
The first step to kicking off your school year of competition is understanding the structure of your particular event. Every activity or sport of any kind needs to understand the “rules of the game.” They vary from league to league, event to event, but once you understand the structure of the game, you will be on your way to succeeding in the events you set out to master.
We offer SIX events at MonumentMembers.com. You should consider seriously each of the following.
We consider three of our events “debate” events (Policy/Lincoln-Douglas/Public Forum Debate). We consider Parli Debate more of a limited-prep than a debate activity, which we’ll cover below. There are four expectations every debater should anticipate for preparing for Season 18:
- Expect the Topic. Every debate event in every league has different resolutions.
- Expect Rules of Engagement. Every league has their rules.
- Expect to Flow. Every successful debater knows how to flow their rounds.
- Expect to Learn. Every successful debater becomes an avid student in the resolution’s topic.
We consider three of our events “limited prep” events (Extemp/Apologetics/Parli). Because debaters in parli receive their resolutions 15 minutes before debating, we consider the skill to be more like extemp in that they need to be prepared with general knowledge and understanding of political and cultural views. As a limited-prep member, these students can expect these two in their preparation for Season 18:
- Expect Weekly Lessons. Every Monday morning the member will get a lesson to keep them trained.
- Expect Model Tournaments. The competitor will receive model tournaments laid out for them for practice.
Season 18 Debate Resolutions
Our Monument Member Team writes cases, briefs and articles for NSDA, NCFCA and Stoa leagues. Resolutions are released as follows:
- NSDA: “Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its funding and/or regulation of elementary and/or secondary education in the United States.”
- NCFCA: “Resolved: The United States should significantly reform its policies regarding higher education.”
- Stoa: “Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reform its transportation policy.”
- NSDA release six resolutions through the year:
- Sept/Oct Novice: “Resolved: Civil disobedience in a democracy is morally justified.”
- Sept/Oct Varsity: “Resolved: In the United States, national service ought to be compulsory.”
- Nov/Dec: “Resolved: Wealthy nations have an obligation to provide development assistance to other nations.”
- Jan/Feb: “Resolved: Plea bargaining ought to be abolished in the United States criminal justice system.”
- Mar/Apr: “Resolved: The United States ought to provide a universal basic income.”
- NCFCA: “Resolved: Nationalism ought to be valued above globalism.”
- Stoa: “Resolved: Preemptive warfare is morally justified.”
- NSDA release six resolutions through the year:
- Public Forum:
- NSDA Sept/Oct: “Resolved: Deployment of anti-missile systems is in South Korea’s best interest.”
- NSDA Nov: “Resolved: The United States should require universal background checks for all gun sales and transfer of ownership.”
- NSDA Dec: “Resolved: NCAA student athletes ought to be recognized as employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act.”
- NSDA Jan: “Resolved: Spain should grant Catalonia its independence.”
- NSDA Feb: “Resolved: The United States should abolish the capital gains tax.”
- NSDA Mar: “On balance, the current Authorization for Use of Military Force gives too much power to the president.”
- NSDA Apr: “Resolved: The United States federal government should increase its quota of H-1B visas.”
Don’t fall behind! Stay prepared for competition by accessing your downloads throughout the tournament season. Follow specific releases for your event by viewing the Release Schedule. In general, the school season follows:
- Pre-season Releases: June. This four-part video series unfolds the “Monument Way” to preparing for competition. The structure-and-strategy methodology for learning speech and debate has helped countless champions over the years.
- Summer Releases (#1-8): July – August. These consist of basic lessons on debate topics as well as introductory cases and briefs for those topics. Limited-prep begin studying current events and league rules for the new season.
- Early-season Releases (#9-24): September – December. These consist of 16 additional releases covering the league resolutions. Limited-prep continues their study with weekly releases on their events.
- Midseason Releases (#25-37): January – March. Members will be enjoying their first tournaments in the midseason. These releases are meant to narrow the competitive focus and keep speakers and debaters sharp for their competitions.
- Late-season Releases (#38-45): April – May. We’ll be cheering on those Members who advance to state, regional and national qualifiers with negative briefs, generics, current event releases and opposition briefs. Members will be encouraged all the way through their National Tournament.
Path to Succcess
Season 18 “preseason” material gives four foundational lessons for the speech and debate member. If you haven’t gone over this material yet, be sure to so! Review as necessary:
- Preseason Release #1: “Roadmap to Success”
- Preseason Release #2: “Structure”
- Preseason Release #3: “Strategy”
- Preseason Release #4: “Modeling”
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don’t grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we’d love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer: