Released: Filed Under: NCFCA Lincoln-Douglas
In the debate between fair and free trade, many believe that free trade ought to be preferred because it is more practical. It is common for people to view trade in terms of the cash benefits to the consumer. In addition, some negative debaters will attempt to claim that fair trade is a band-aid solution; It works in the short term but fails to address the underlying issues.
This argument was raised in the NCFCA Lincoln-Douglas Release #20: “Economic Development” (Neg) (12/17/2018) by Naomi Matthew, who wrote that:
Instead of attacking the symptoms of poverty (sweatshops, low wages, harmful working conditions), free trade solves the root issue by promoting economic development. For example, free trade has an impressive record of reducing poverty.
The following evidence is intended to support two major arguments. First, in practice fair trade addresses the major issues that plague developing areas. Second, practicality should always be viewed from both the perspective of the consumer and that of the producer. If we ever fall into the trap of thinking about practicality only in terms of our own wallets, we do a disservice to those in need around the world.
The tags used in this brief include:
- Efficiency of Fair Trade
- People are Willing to Pay for Ethical Production
- Fair Trade Benefits Farmers
- Positive Effects of Fair Trade
- Free Trade Favors Those with the Deepest Pockets
- Success of Fair Trade
- Fair Trade Alleviates Poverty
- Measurable Advantages of Fair Trade
- Fair Trade Promotes Responsible Consumerism
- Long Term Benefits of Fair Trade
- Download the document with the button above. Study this release and get to know it well. File and print as necessary to prepare for your upcoming competition.
- This download is exclusively for Monument Members participating in Season 19. Any use outside this membership is a violation of U.S. Copyright Law and violators will be prosecuted.
- As always, double check all claims, warrants, hyperlinks and the current news in case any changes have occurred that will affect your competition.
- Do you have questions about this download? Tap in your comment at the bottom of the page. The author, the site owner, or another member will most likely reply.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.
Alisa competed in speech and debate for six years in prepared speech events, impromptu speech events, and three forms of debate. Her favorite win was a parliamentary tournament where the first place prize was a dollar store container filled with m&ms.