NOTE: This download expired May 31, 2018. See message below.
Summary: This informational article will explore each of the five characteristics of Universal Basic Income.
Released: Filed Under: Archives
About "Universal Basic Income (INFO)"
Universal Basic Income (UBI) is a concept born from the belief that everyone has a human right to a “living wage,” an allowance that is awarded to everyone in society. This is arguably the basis of Utopian theory where everyone receives a fixed distributed amount from which to manage their own affairs. This runs contrary to capitalism where individuals receive that which they work for.
According to the Basic Income Earth Network (BIEN), an organization that promotes debate and discussion surrounding UBI, a “basic income” is “a periodic cash payment unconditionally delivered to all on an individual basis, without means-test or work requirement.” There are five characteristics of this income system:
- “Periodic”: Periodic payments are delivered to each individual.
- “Cash”: Payments are distributed in cash (not vouchers).
- “Individual”: Payments are made to each individual citizen.
- “Universal”: All citizens must receive the payment.
- “Unconditional”: Payments must be unconditional.
As debaters of this resolution, you should come up with cases advocating a living wage that incorporates these five positions. Monument will be releasing cases in the coming weeks for you to model in competitions. Likewise, you should know the negative responses to such social engineering.
This informational article will explore each of the five characteristics of Universal Basic Income.
- Download the document with the button above. Study this release and get to know it well. File and print as necessary to prepare for your upcoming competition.
- This download is exclusively for Monument Members participating in Season 19. Any use outside this membership is a violation of U.S. Copyright Law and violators will be prosecuted.
- As always, double check all claims, warrants, hyperlinks and the current news in case any changes have occurred that will affect your competition.
- Do you have questions about this download? Tap in your comment at the bottom of the page. The author, the site owner, or another member will most likely reply.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.
Coach Jeub is owner of Monument Publishing. He authors and co-authors several of the publications, but enjoys plugging other speech and debate talent into key writing positions. Mr. Jeub resides in Monument, Colorado, with his wife and 10 of his 16 children. Over the years, his family has carried five titles in two different leagues.