NOTE: This download expired May 31, 2018. See message below.
Summary: How would you like neutralize any affirmative value in 10 seconds or less? With this strategy, you can do that – and a lot more.
Released: Filed Under: Expired
About "Inherent Moral Legitimacy"
How would you like neutralize any affirmative value in 10 seconds or less? With this strategy, you can do that – and a lot more.
First and foremost, this is an advanced case that should never be run unless you understand what it is. The basic premise is that because preemptive warfare is simply a tool, it is impossible to prove that it’s morally acceptable. Achieving a desired goal doesn’t assign moral acceptability to an extrinsic tactic. It’s like a computer that can be used for good, amoral, and bad things.
A computer isn’t justified by posting a Bible verse. Nobody ever says,
“I read your post today! So encouraging! God bless your computer!”
In and of itself, no computer has no inherent value or merit — it’s only valuable because of what it achieves. For that reason, you cannot consider it a morally justified object. In this case, a similar position is taken with preemptive warfare. This position objects to the resolution, so understand that it is most definitely not a balanced neg. You don’t say, “it depends,” you say, “it’s impossible.” Right off the bat, you’re claiming that they are physically unable to defend their position – regardless of their value. By running this case, you have two advantages:
- First off, you surprise non-Mons (non-Monument Members). Most opponents are going to be utterly oblivious to this position, which makes it more rewarding for you to run.
- Second, you force them to accept your premise. The affirmative is now forced to debate on your terms and your ground. Their value is now irrelevant, and they have no choice but to make your case the central issue in the round. From a strategic standpoint, that’s solid gold.
You should know that while an objection is fascinating, it is risky too. If the affirmative can prove that preemptive warfare is morally acceptable in one instance, your entire position collapses and your opponent wins by default. Always be ready to defend your stance. To get the ballot, you have to prove that preemptive warfare is never inherently moral, regardless of the intentions behind it or the outcomes that result from it.
Remember: no matter how tempting it is, you should never respond to your opponent’s value. If the resolution is impossible, you cannot measure it with a value. End of story. Expect your opponent to challenge this argumentation. Merely re-clarify what a resolutional objection is. You’re not just saying that the resolution is false; you’re saying it’s impossible. Impossible things can’t be measured with a value.
- Download the document with the button above. Study this release and get to know it well. File and print as necessary to prepare for your upcoming competition.
- This download is exclusively for Monument Members participating in Season 19. Any use outside this membership is a violation of U.S. Copyright Law and violators will be prosecuted.
- As always, double check all claims, warrants, hyperlinks and the current news in case any changes have occurred that will affect your competition.
- Do you have questions about this download? Tap in your comment at the bottom of the page. The author, the site owner, or another member will most likely reply.
Permission & Usage
Click Here for complete information on permissions. All membership content is proprietary intellectual content, so please respect its copyright. Simply put, if you are not a Monument Member, you may not use it or share its content. If one partner of a debate team is a member and the other is not, the one who is a Monument Member must be the controller of the logins, downloads and incorporation of the Monument Membership material. Sharing logins is strictly prohibited.
Would you like to join?
Downloads like these don't grow on trees. They take hard work from experts. But we make it easy and affordable with a membership, and we'd love for you to join us! Fill out the fields below to be included in all that Season 19 has to offer:
Click here for more information.
As a native Coloradan senior with almost six years of experience, Thomas has been in the top 8 competitor positions well over 50 times, winning numerous awards in both speech and debate. Out of more than 1800 competitors nationwide, he has consistently presided in the top 2% of speechranks listings. When he’s not working on speech and debate, you can find him studying Christian theology, composing music, drinking smooth coffee, or belting out lines from theater productions.