Read all the requirements, guidelines, compensation, and terms. If you agree and would like to apply to the team, fill out the rest of the forms.
- Two or more years experience in speech and/or debate with an admirable success rate in competition.
- An expert knowledge in speech and debate theory and strategy.
- Excellent writing skills and control of the English language.
- Ability to follow guidelines and templates provided by Monument.
- Commitment to give focused attention to what is needed to write great source material for our members.
Season 19 Writers Guidelines
Every category has a template that models a complete submission. Monument Writers will follow this model by downloading the template and filling it out as necessary. The following are brief explanations of each Monument category.
NOTE: All submitted material must be “complete,” and incomplete submissions could be compensated 50% and the byline shared depending on how many changes the Managing Editor needs to put into the piece. If a submission needs to be significantly altered, Monument will consider the case co-authored and paid accordingly. Preference will be assigned to the most proficient writers.
All works are paid within 1 week of its initial publishing. Writers are paid as contractors and should not consider themselves employees of Monument Publishing. Published works become copyright material of Monument Publishing and may not be sold or given away without written approval of Monument Publishing. Authors are allowed to call themselves Monument Writers and may request letters of recommendation for future endeavors.
- Policy: $50 per case + 2A brief, $25 per negative brief.
- Lincoln-Douglas: $25 per Lincoln-Douglas published piece.
- Public-Forum: $25 for either a Pro or Opp case + AT.
- Extemp/Parli: $25 per published extemp/parli assignment.
- Apologetics, Interp, Platform: $25 per published piece.
Agreement to these Terms is unique to the applying Writer and is a legally binding contract. In consideration of the mutual promises, terms and conditions stated below, the parties agree as follows:
- Work to be Performed: Writer will provide completed work to fit the need of one or more of the publishing slots explained in the Writer Guidelines. The Writer will work with editors as needed to complete their assigned source material. Submissions may require use of a Word template and must fulfill all the components listed in the Writers Guidelines.
- Compensation: Writers will be compensated within 1 week of the date of publication. Writers must have a Paypal.me account to be paid via Paypal from the Monument Publishing Paypal Account. To open an account, click here.
- Original Content: The Writer warrants that the work is original, accurate, and does not infringe on any copyright. Work extracted from other sources will be cited giving full credit to the owner of these sources.
- Promotion. Writer agrees to make an honest effort in assisting Monument Publishing in promoting the source material. This may include Facebook posts and forwarding emails to the Writer’s circle of speech and debate friends. Writer understands that Monument Publishing has the privilege of referring to the writer as a Monument Writer.
- Independent Contractor: The Writer is an independent contractor, and nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed to (i) give either party the power to direct and control the day-to-day activities of the other, (ii) constitute the parties as partners, joint ventures, co-owners or otherwise, or (iii) allow Freelance Writer to create or assume any obligation on behalf of Monument Publishing for any purpose whatsoever. Freelance Writer is not an employee of Monument Publishing and is not entitled to any employee benefits. Freelance Writer shall be responsible for paying all income taxes and other taxes charged to Freelance Writer on amounts earned hereunder. All financial and other obligations associated with Freelance Writer’s business are the sole responsibility of Writer.
- Noncompete Disclosure: Writer agrees to never overlap work done for Monument with any other source material provider. Writer will keep all emails, discussion and research involved with the development of the content confidential.